Monday, June 17, 2013

Floating

(Click on the cartoon to see the full image.)
(C)Copyright 2013, C. Burke.

When you think about it, a floating error would be sinking!

If you're curious about the cuties lounging around the pool, they've been taking in the sun since this comic.

One of the interesting problems I have with every comic is How big do I make it?
Seriously, I never know. I want them to fit on the screen, but every screen is different, and you have no clue what settings are being used. There's some discrepancy in my earliest comics depending on whether I worked on the comic at home or at work -- and which PC in the Teacher Center I might have used.

I'm not looked into one particular format -- and I'm not planning any books which might require one -- but I'd like to have some consistency.

My problem today was that this comic because of the nature of floating-point numbers, had to be wide to accomodate the Sixes and 9.0000002. The width was over 1000, which doesn't display properly on the blog. Moreover, it the right side had been cut off, so would part of the joke. I could've reduced it, but the it might've been too short. Decisions, decisions. So I moved the Sixes down, giving the comic a little more depth, but that gave me a lot of empty space that stood out. Luckily, there have been enough beach scenes over the past 5+ years to find something adaptable.




No comments: