Saturday, September 11, 2010

This and That ...

Two completely unrelated topics:

First, on the anniversary of 9/11, I wanted to say something about that day, whether in words or in a comic. I thought it better to hold off attempting a comic until next year. Oddly, as a math teacher, I can't comment on what happened in the schools that day -- because I wasn't teaching yet. Even the following year, I wasn't in a classroom because I was at a district office being reassigned, having been bumped from my previous position.

No, on September 11, 2001, I wasn't in a classroom yet or still in a cubicle. I was sitting in a court building in downtown Brooklyn, just off the Brooklyn Bridge, waiting for jury duty to begin. It was a while before they gave us the news. Sometime after the trains had stopped running.

Second, on Wednesday's Star Trek meets Mythbusters comic, there was a message congratulating me on being selected for a list of the 25 best Math blogs for college
students. This might be a nice honor if the same website hadn't already done a list of the FIFTY best Math blogs for college students.

Now, it's better to be in the top 25 instead of the top 50, right? Maybe. But there's no criteria for inclusion. No rhyme or reason for the picks (except for a brief description of each blog). I haven't compared the two side-by-side yet, but the order has changed dramatically for the sites on both lists.

But I'll accept the recognition and hope that it doesn't lead to a lot of spam. My virus filters and ad blockers are working and up-to-date.

The list is at: http://www.onlinedegrees.org/25-best-math-blogs-for-college-students/

No comments: